electrical maintenance engineer
11
Dec

How To Fix A Short Circuit At Home


Has it happened that when you connected an appliance, you have seen sparks coming out of the outlet? It is often necessary to distinguish that it is not just the short circuit you are facing at home, but it might be possible that some devices have run out of power or some lights no longer turn on. 

Dealing with short circuits at home is not something out of the world. It is only a matter of identifying where the problem is unless you fear the current and can’t dare to touch those wires. In that case, you have no choice but to contact the electrician in Stoke on Trent for timely technical assistance.

In any case, in this post, we will show you how to fix a short circuit at home without anyone’s help. Imagine that one day you are alone and you have to wait long hours for your electrician to arrive,what would you do on a temporary ground?

Why does a short circuit occur?

A short circuit occurs when we accidentally join or link the ends or the metal part of two wires of different polarities. For example, when connecting an electric appliance to the outlet. This action causes a sudden rise in the intensity of the current, a violent increase in heat in the cable that could burn it, or even cause fire. But not that shock produces a short circuit; you will be surprised with these other causes: 

When dust accumulates on the part of the plug, there is a risk of a short circuit. Why? 

Repeated sparks cause the short circuit through the plug, and this is due to the presence of dust or moisture in that part.

Excessive use of several devices that depend on multiple plugs can cause overheating and, consequently, the fire. Why? 

This has a lot to do with the excessive use of equipment dependent on the same plug, since in addition to abusing its capacity, it can cause an electrical overload, one of the first causes of fire.

The use of equipment with coiled cables can cause overheating of overlapping wires and cause a fire. Why?

Placing heavy objects or furniture on the wires can damage them, breaking them and also causing short circuits. Are you surprised, right? Damaged or half-broken cables create resistance at these points, causing overheating, consequently melting the protection of the wires causing a short circuit that ends in fire.

6 Steps to fix a short circuit:

  1. Check the device

The first thing you should check is the tools that were in operation at the time the short circuit occurred. Check the appliances, because the fault is in the cord or the plug that connects to the mains. This can be the cause of the disconnection of the general switch or breaker. Change it and check that, when you turn it on again, the energy does not go away.

  • If you don’t know, don’t touch.

Yes, that’s the golden rule. When we speak of electricity, it is apparent that we can counter any kind of risk or that something may also wrong concluding personal and material damage. That is why a thorough and experienced execution is required to leave everything faultless for an extended period of time.

  • Decide whether the problem is internal or external

No electricity? From time to time, the power outages come from outside the house and can make you think that something is wrong at your place. First, check if this is the case. You can call your electrician in Stoke on Trent.

  • Examine all connection boxes

The fault may be due to a damaged cable, and you have to replace it. But be careful, do not forget to lower the breaker or cut the electricity to make the change. Remember not to use electrical tape to repair a damaged cable, as it can be damaged more easily. Do not forget that when a cable is short-circuited, it is likely that it will burn completely in its entirety, hence a fire could burn your house in minutes.

  • Perform simple installation

You can try to check the wiring and perform the simplest tasks, such as repairing a switch or changing a plug. But remember that the most important thing is your safety and that of your family, so if you think you will need help, do not take risks and call a professional electrician in Stoke on Trent. You will save time and in many cases, more problems.

  • Before operating, ensure you have disconnected the power from the house

Go to the electrical panel and lower down the general switch. This way, you will make sure you do not take a cramp when operating any cables.

When you have finished, remember to turn the main switch back on and check if, when connecting the repaired parts, there is any problem or automatic skipping when detecting a fault.